Friday, September 09, 2011

Google farts out a Blogger app for iOS.

New post.
Just released by Google's experimental department of programmers – the ones that had their temporal lobes removed – is a Blogger app for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Supposedly, it allows me to write drafts, or even publish Blogger posts directly from my iPhone. Sounds awesome! Let's try to write a new post...

This doesn't really look like a blog post. It looks like a bunch of unformatted text, and some image thumbnails below, that you can't order or move anywhere.

This is what this post looks like in preview...
                   
Post preview in Chrome.
Editing a post.
Awesome!

Now let's see what happens when I try to edit an actual blog post with the iOS app. I'm not sure which feature is my favorite: the raw HTML code, or the “hide keyboard” button that covers part of the text?

The good news is that the app is not entirely useless. I can use it to snap a couple of photos on the iPhone and attach them to a headline, to be edited later via the Blogger browser app. But as a blog publishing app, it's just embarrassing.

I know there are some smart people employed at Google. Can we please hand this over to them?

No comments: