Saturday, September 03, 2011

iOS 5 Beta 7 Blues

My iPhone 4 is bricked. It updated to Beta 7 on its own, overnight, and now when I try to activate it, it just displays "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable. It's been saying that for 3 days now.

According to the interwebs, I should be able to "restore" it from iTunes. Problem is, I'm running Leopard at home, and the iTunes betas can't run on it.

Here's a question to Apple that's been bugging me ever since the original iPhone: why does a phone need to be activated by the user, especially since that has nothing to do with the wireless carrier?

2 comments:

Daniel Rubin said...

Aren't they getting away from that now? From what I understand no PC will be needed anymore to start with iOS device after iOS 5 comes out.

Spike Sagal said...

They are. And the previous beta installed just fine, without me ever needing to connect to a computer. Something went wrong with this one. I also don't like the fact that it installed without even prompting me.