Monday, September 05, 2011

Portal 2

Finally, I got to play Portal 2 after upgrading my OS X from Leopard, which – I discovered shortly after purchasing the game – wasn't supported. So far I only got the chance to play through the single-player story.

The game still feels and plays like the original Portal, but it's longer, the puzzles are more challenging, and the new physics tools – light bridges, funnels, and gels – are welcome additions indeed.

There are still many non-puzzle areas where you have to figure out which way to go, which feels a lot like Half-Life. But gone are the puzzles that require mad dashes through a barrage of bullets, so the puzzle sections feel more pure. Later in the game, however, there are still a few short puzzles that require split second decisions, and keep you on the edge.

The plot wasn't quite as fulfilling as the first game. The great thing about the original Portal was that it was short and simple, and the ending was very funny and unusual – the end credits in particular. With Portal 2, I pretty much expected a song from GLaDOS. It was still funny, but it didn't have me rolling on the floor like the last time.

This time around, there were a lot of plot elements and twists thrown into the mix. Some of them were very welcome, but some were just sudden and inexplicable.

That said, the monologues from various characters throughout the game were still very enjoyable. The later relationship between Chell and GLaDOS was quite hilarious. The scribbles on the walls were fantastic.

A lot of character development happened in Portal 2, the most interesting of which I found to be Cave Johnson, the founder and heart of Aperture Science. I would even say that the most interesting character was the Aperture Science factory itself. I don't want to give away any spoilers, but take my word for it: it is quite impressive, if you pay attention to detail.

Overall, Portal 2 is a great game, and a very worthy sequel to the original. I can't wait to see what the geniuses at Valve will come up with next!

P.S.: I hope the Space Core makes a comeback!

No comments: